Friday 6 April 2012

Crossed nine-patch



This block is one I call a crossed nine-patch, although I'm sure it has other names as well. I used it to make my stained glass quilt (centre shown below, with no borders on) but it could be used any way you like - with different colours than black for the contrast strip, it wouldn't be nearly so much like stained glass.  You start with a 9 patch block - mine were random in colour (except I tried not to put two the same next to one another) and then simple slice randomly across it, insert the black strip and sew back together. Then you turn the block and slice the other way and repeat.   If you are careful, you can get the first strip to more or less line up with itself when you do the second cross - at least enough so that from a distance they look like crosses.  Another variation on this in a moment!

What it uses: squares (2", 2.5", 3" - any size really)




No comments:

Post a Comment